- Product Reviews
Stain-Proof Advanced Granite Sealer
Looking for SenGuard? STAIN-PROOF = Same Performance, Better Value!
Stain-Proof Permanent Marble and Granite Sealer is the next generation in sealer technology providing premium protection against all water and oil-based stains on granite countertops, marble, travertine, limestone, slate, concrete, tiles, pavers, grout, and all porous surfaces.
Utilizing nano-technology and specially engineered molecules Stain-Proof Sealer penetrates more deeply into your stone for more complete coverage. It forms permanent bonds and creates an invisible, breathable, and long-lasting barrier that chemically repels liquids and far surpasses the performance of standard sealers.
STAIN-PROOF can be applied indoors or outdoors. Use it to seal countertops, backsplashes, floor tile, shower tile, and grout. Treated surfaces become easier to clean and remain in top condition for longer. It will not change the look or color of your stone and UV rays do not affect or degrade the sealer.
COVERAGE: STAIN-PROOF will cover and seal far more stone per ounce than conventional sealers. One bottle covers an estimated 25 - 250 square feet depending on the porosity of the stone. Each stone is different and results may vary.
- Premium water and oil repellence for superior stain protection.
- Resistance to stains Class 5 (highest class) as tested in accordance with ISO 10545-14.
- Unique super-penetrating, permanent bonding technology for long-lasting protection.
- No periodic reapplication is necessary like with standard stone sealers.
- Effective on all porous surfaces: granite, marble, and all other types of natural stone, concrete, tiles, pavers, and grout.
- Protects against efflorescence, freeze-thaw, and salt spalling damage.
- Retains natural surface color and finish. It will not change the color of your natural stone or any surface.
- Treated surfaces are easier to clean and dry quickly even after heavy rain.
- Super breathable: Water vapor escapes freely preventing harmful moisture buildup inside the treated material.
- Suitable for indoor, outdoor, residential, and commercial use.
- Stands up to alkaline cleaners and pressure hosing.
Other top marble & granite sealer brands on the market today use fluoro-carbons, fluoro-Teflon, or acrylic polymers to make very good sealers that in some instances offer 5 to 10 years of protection.
However, these chemical compounds contain much larger molecules that do not penetrate as deeply or bond as well. In most cases, you will need to re-apply the sealer in 2 to 5 years.
Now, this is vastly improved from what sealers could do just a short while ago, but STAIN-PROOF is the next step in the evolution of sealer technology.
Stain-Proof's cutting-edge sealer is engineered to provide permanent protection with only one application (one application may involve 1,2, or 3 coats depending on the stone). It is more expensive. However, long-term it is the better value when you consider that you'll have to buy and apply any other sealer many times to get the same protection.
The Whole Story
For those who want to know all the details...
STAIN-PROOF contains specially engineered modified silane polymer molecules. These molecules are thousands of times smaller than other sealer types. Thus, these molecules are able to penetrate far deeper into the stone and to spread into every pore, crack, fissure and crevice more effectively so you get more consistent and complete coverage. This is especially important for sealing granite countertops in the kitchen.
These molecules are also engineered to form chemical bonds directly with the stone that are as strong as the bonds holding the stone itself together. When applied to granite or marble, etc. a reaction takes place. Part of the molecule is attracted to water, so it is drawn into the stone by water molecules in the stone.
The specialized molecule then breaks apart while displacing the water molecules. It leaves behind a hydrophobic and oleophobic molecule that binds directly with the stone lattice. The remaining molecule chemically repels oil and water like opposing magnets repel each other.
Other marble & granite sealers rely on weak hydrogen bonding and mechanical holding (clogging the pores). STAIN-PROOF becomes part of the stone itself while still allowing it to breathe as it should. And it doesn't change the look or slip-resistance of the stone.
The net effect of this reaction is to change the "surface energy" of the stone. All materials have surface energy. A low surface energy liquid like oil will penetrate a high surface energy material like granite.
The molecular bond created with the stone by the STAIN-PROOF sealer changes the surface energy of the stone so that it becomes lower than oil or water. Thus, when you spill something, instead of the stone quickly absorbing the liquid like a hard sponge, it just beads up on top of the stone dramatically delaying absorption for easy cleaning.
Application: (See Application tab above for complete instructions) One bottle of STAIN-PROOF will cover an estimated 25-250 square feet depending on how porous and absorbent the stone is. Every stone is unique so results may vary. It's important to let the stone absorb as much sealant as possible (without letting it dry on top) rather than trying to spread the sealer around to cover as much as possible. One properly applied coat is much better than two thin ones.
Also, depending on the porosity of the stone two coats (or even three for very porous stones) may be necessary to properly seal the stone in one application. Simply perform the water test (click here) prior to application to determine how porous your stone is and estimate the possible necessity of a second or third coat.
Performing the water test after the first coat has cured for 24 hours will help determine if the stone is effectively sealed or if a second coat is necessary. Although, maximum protection is achieved in several days after the sealer cures completely.
Performing a "test" application on a left-over or sample piece of the stone to be sealed is also advisable to help determine the coverage required for an effective application.
Sealer Myths: It's important to understand that many myths and misconceptions abound regarding sealers and sealing granite countertops. No impregnating sealer will "absolutely prevent" a stain. Sealers work by radically reducing the rate of absorption of a stone. So, the advantage of applying a sealer is that it allows far more time to clean up a spill. If neglected, a liquid exposed to the surface for an extended period could still potentially stain no matter what type or brand of sealer used.
The advantage of applying STAIN-PROOF is that the permanent bonds will not break down with use and exposure to cleaning products like other sealers, so it remains effective while other sealers will require regular re-application.
For complete, detailed information regarding sealers and sealer application please consult the All About Sealing ebook.
Chemical Etching: Stain-Proof sealer will not protect against chemical etching by acidic compounds. No impregnating sealer will prevent chemical etching that leaves dull and light-colored spots on calcitic stones like marble, travertine, limestone, and (rarely) some granites.
- ALWAYS TEST PRODUCT ON A SMALL AREA FIRST and allow a 24 hour cure time to determine the ease of application and desired results.
- Ensure surfaces to be treated are dry, clean, and free of residues. Wash surface with mineral spirits to remove residues.
- Product is to be applied without thinning.
- Generously saturate the surface with product using a low-pressure hand sprayer bottle and spread evenly using a clean paintbrush.
- Surface should have a mirror-like wet look for 3-5 seconds. Avoid contact with surrounding areas.
- When the surface becomes touch dry, or after a minimum of 10 minutes repeat Step 4.
- After the final coat, wait approximately 10 minutes but before the surface dries, then polish the surface thoroughly with clean, dry, white cloths, towels or similar to remove excess product, moistening the cloth with STAIN-PROOF™ to ease polishing and remove any steaking. Wipe the surface completely dry.
- Buff completely dry. Do not allow product to dry on surface without removing excess product and buffing completely dry as indicated in step 7.
- Use an organic solvent e.g. methylated spirits to clean equipment.
- Sealer will not prevent surface etching, scuff marks, or wear and may lighten or darken some surfaces. This is rare but test a small area first. STAIN-PROOF Original™ will make the maintenance and cleaning of a treated surface much easier.
- Once cured, this product is food contact safe.